Table of Contents
Connecting to VirginMobile Broadband2Go with an Ovation MC760 USB modem
Using Network Manager
1) Plug in your modem.
2) Open the Network Manager “NETWORK CONNECTIONS” dialog.
3) Click “+ ADD”.
4) “CHOOSE A CONNECTION TYPE” —> “MOBILE BROADBAND”
5) Click CREATE
6) “CREATE A CONNECTION FOR THIS MOBILE BROADBAND DEVICE” —> “NOVATEL WIRELESS CMDA”
7) “COUNTRY OR REGION” Pick what applies to you.
8) “PROVIDER” —> “VIRGIN MOBILE/HELIO”
9) “CONFIRM BROADBAND SETTINGS” —> “APPLY”
10) After this it will ask you for a USERNAME and PASSWORD, leave them blank.
After this, “Virgin Mobile/Helio” should be one of your connection choices.
1) Plug in the modem
2) AS ROOT: run dmesg and look for the modem's dev node (usually /dev/ttyUSB0)
3) Start KPPP
4) CONFIGURE > MODEMS > NEW
DEVICE TAB- MODEM NAME: anything you want MODEM DEVICE: whatever dmesg said (probably /dev/ttyUSB0 ) FLOW CONTROL: hardware LINE TERMINATION: CR CONNECTION SPEED: 460800 USE LOCK FILE: checked MODEM TAB- Click QUERY MODEM If everything is correct, you should see MODEM READY then some ATI stuff.
5) ACCOUNTS > NEW > MANUAL SETUP
CONNECTION NAME: whatever you want PHONE NUMBER: #777 AUTHENTICATION: PAP/CHAP CALLBACK TYPE: none Click OK
CONNECT TO: whatever you named the account USE MODEM: whatever you named the modem LOGIN ID: anything you want but you have to put in something (I use USER) PASSWORD: same as you put in LOGIN ID Click CONNECT
1) I've done it. I don't remember how.
- Originally written by arfon